Re: IETF LLC & IETF Participation from USA-sanctioned countries

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Thu, 11 March 2021 05:56 UTC

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 06:56:35 +0100
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: ietf@ietf.org, Andrew Sullivan <ajs@anvilwalrusden.com>
Subject: Re: IETF LLC & IETF Participation from USA-sanctioned countries

Andrew,

On Wed, Mar 03, 2021 at 05:14:33PM -0500, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 03, 2021 at 06:32:22PM -0300, Fernando Gont wrote:
>
> > For example, could it result in participants from Cuba, Iran, Myanmar,
> > North Korea, Sudan or Syria being rejected their registration, and hence
> > being prevented to participate in IETF meetings?
>
> Depending on precisely how one interprets the relevant statutes, one might not even be able to answer that question completely, because (depending on the country or the individual) one might not be allowed to acknowledge that the application to attend was received because even that would be transacting with a person under sanction.  It is certainly possible that such things could happen, though I am definitely not now in a position to say whether they have during the IETF LLC period.

>  I have good reason to believe that there have been IANA protocol parameters that have had this problem, for what it's worth.

What is the easily found public URL where any such case is documented ?

And in case where specific classes of events can not be well publically
documented, wehre is the easily found public URL documenting the
type of events that can not be documented - because of US law prohibiting
it, i guess..

As the original question asked, i would really love to start raising
more awareness of any such issues by creating more easily found comprehensive
documentation. Having to point to some email in an email archive as was
also done in this thread is just ridiculous.

Toerless

--
---
tte@cs.fau.de