[Ntp] Antw: [EXT] Re: CLOCK_TAI (was NTPv5: big picture)

Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de> Thu, 07 January 2021 08:29 UTC

Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2021 09:29:45 +0100
From: Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
To: martin.burnicki=40meinberg.de@dmarc.ietf.org, "ntp@ietf.org" <ntp@ietf.org>, emmanuel.fuste@thalesgroup.com
Subject: [Ntp] Antw: [EXT] Re: CLOCK_TAI (was NTPv5: big picture)

>>> Martin Burnicki <martin.burnicki=40meinberg.de@dmarc.ietf.org> schrieb am
06.01.2021 um 15:18 in Nachricht
<0af0e655-9f1b-7407-9065-9e3aa7b057d6@meinberg.de>:
> FUSTE Emmanuel wrote:

>> The "basically" mean nothing. Is is 100% compatible or not compatible.
>
> As I tried to explain in earlier messages, you can easily make it fully
> compatible and support new features by extensions.

I still think the v4 extension field mechanism was a big mistake and the
mechanism should be redone for a clean design.
So v4 should remain v4 and v5 should be something better.

>> It is NTPv4 or NTPv5.
>
> In the first place it is NTP. If you think you need to completely
> redesign it, just give it a different name.

Do you see "NTP" as "packets" only? I think "packets" can be changed easily;
they are just the representation of information, not the information itself.