Re: [tsvwg] Review comments on a careful read of the L4S ID

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Fri, 07 May 2021 09:33 UTC

To: Sebastian Moeller <moeller0@gmx.de>, tsvwg@ietf.org, "Black, David" <David.Black@dell.com>, Tom Henderson <tomh@tomh.org>
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2021 10:32:32 +0100
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] Review comments on a careful read of the L4S ID

Thanks Sebastian,

Please se below marked [GF].

On 07/05/2021 07:34, Sebastian Moeller wrote:
> Gorry,
>
> On 6 May 2021 22:39:12 CEST, Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Tom/David,
>>
>> Aha - I see now. Another possibility could be something like:
>>
>> "Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) Protocol for Ultra-Low Queuing
>> Delay (L4S)" ??
> [SM] I thought "ultra-low" is going to be replaced with "consistently low"?

[GF] My comment was to ensure the abstract and title describe the goal
of this architecture. (In terms of SLAs, operators often don't provide
hard 100% guarentees, but do generally express the key aspects of their
intended service class.) In this sense, "Ultra" seems like a marketing
term, and I would expect that technical specifications avoid this word.

> Also if the ecn-id draft is considered a specification for protocols I very much would expect to see at least one fully functioning mostly-finished actual protocol being developed from that spec BEFORE standardisation as proof thar the spec itself is sufficiently complete and functional, no?

[GF] I'm not myself concerned about the Spec being implemented before it
is published - but it was mist helpful to see implementor feedback on
whether they understand the text. The IETF has published specs before
and then after that the details have developed after the first round of
documents were RFCs. In particular, any EXP spec would naturally be
followed by another IETF spec that further details what is needed.

> And TCP Prague with all its unfinished/partly abandoned? attempts at implementing the 'specification's' requirements is not that convincing that the spec is complete and reasonably implementable.
> To be explicit, neither RTT-debiasing, nor rfc3168 detection are robustly and reliably tackled which is somewhat sobering given that the requirements exist for IIRC more than 5 years now...
>
> Regards
>          P.

[GF] I know in this period that support for DualQ has been added to some
equipment - albeit while waiting for RFCs to finalise details.

I do expect that many larger endpoint implementors also do a lot of
their initial development based on published RFCs, but also do
prototyping of the details of algorithms in their various (often
private) implementations. That appears to be very much the way of
operation in working groups like QUIC. (QUIC has defined the fundamental
feedback mechanisms needed for L4S). I'd love to see implementations
emerge for TCP also.

The topic of RTT-debiasing always has been a really good direction, and
remains so. I think that TSVWG would welcome more insight on this, and
surely if people want to bring methods and experience to the WG, I'd
personally encourage that.

So looking forward after the Specs are publsihed... I think network
(router) deployment of the original ECN has to date been limited, this
situation needs to change if L4S techniques are to be widley used. If
there is wider support for L4S, then the incentives exist to get the
protocol details correct, and my hope if that the implementors can bring
their experience to the IETF.

>> Gorry

Best wishes,

Gorry