Re: [v4v6interim] [46translation] [BEHAVE] Proposal for new BEHAVE charter

Margaret Wasserman <mrw@lilacglade.org> Mon, 20 October 2008 14:49 UTC

From: Margaret Wasserman <mrw@lilacglade.org>
To: Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi.denis-courmont@nokia.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:50:19 -0400
Cc: v4v6interim@ietf.org, 46translation@employees.org, 'Behave WG' <behave@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v4v6interim] [46translation] [BEHAVE] Proposal for new BEHAVE charter
Sender: v4v6interim-bounces@ietf.org

On Oct 20, 2008, at 6:58 AM, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> I share your analysis that, _assuming_ we have NAT66, it should be
> transport-agnostic. IPv6 has a large enough address space, and we are
> painfully aware of the problems of transport-dependent NAT(44).
>
> However, when I look at the reasons for deploying NAT:
> 1/ address space shortage
> 2/ inbound firewalling
> 3/ topology hiding
> 4/ prefix delegation "bypass"
>
> (1) is a non-issue for IPv6. (2) is solved with stateful firewalling
> and does
> not require NAT. 1:1 NAT fails to solve (3) as it does hide the
> subnetting
> scheme, but fails to hide individual hosts. This leaves only (4).
> Did I miss
> anything?

There are many enterprise networks that have plenty of IPv4 address
space available to them, but choose to use NAT44 as part of their
network architecture.  The most common reason I've heard for using
NAT44 in these cases is to separate an enterprise's internal address
block from the IP address block provided by their ISP, which I think
is akin to your option (4).  This allows their internal operations to
remain stable across ISP renumbering or a decision to change ISP.

There is every reason to believe that these same enterprises will use
NAT66 for exactly the same reason.  In fact, given that all IPv6
addresses will be ISP-provided, I'd predict that more, not fewer,
enterprises will choose to use NAT66 to gain provider independence.

I agree that it would be a good thing to provide a better alternative,
but we have yet to do so.  I'm also unconvinced that we can convince
everyone to try the "better" alternative before NAT66 becomes widely
deployed.

I don't _want_ NAT66 to be deployed any more than the rest of you, but
I believe it is inevitable.  We may have an opportunity to influence
how it is implemented and used, but I don't think we can stop it from
happening.

> I guess only time would tell whether a NAT66 1:1 spec would help
> prevent such
> the transport-dependent NAT66 being _deployed_. It cannot hurt to
> write that
> spec, I suppose. In any case, the abomination will be
> _implemented_ :-( It is
> too natural/easy/tempting.

After the encouraging response from Marcelo, I'm already working on a
draft...  I should have something out by the -00 deadline, but I
haven't figured out where to target it yet -- probably it makes more
sense to propose it as a behave work item than as a v4v6translation
item, since it doesn't involve any IPv4.  Suggestions are welcome,
though.

Margaret