Re: [v4v6interim] [46translation] [BEHAVE] Proposal for new BEHAVE charter

Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch@muada.com> Mon, 20 October 2008 11:20 UTC

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch@muada.com>
To: Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi.denis-courmont@nokia.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 13:21:25 +0200
Cc: v4v6interim@ietf.org, 46translation@employees.org, 'Behave WG' <behave@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v4v6interim] [46translation] [BEHAVE] Proposal for new BEHAVE charter
Sender: v4v6interim-bounces@ietf.org

On 20 okt 2008, at 12:58, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> Did I miss anything?

The reason I brought up NAT66 in shim6 is that the right version of it
could be implemented as a simple router rewrite not unlike what's been
proposed in GSE/8+8 etc which would be very useful for shim6.

Stable internal addressing when external connectivity changes could
also be useful.

> I still believe we will see NAT66. Not because it's immediately
> useful. Rather
> because someone will figure out it's easy to adapt NAT44 code to do
> NAT66.
> For instance, much of the Linux Netfilter framework has become IP
> version-independent lately, with NAT being the only one big remaining
> IPv4-specific chunk.

As I said, I already played around with such an implementation years
ago. Of course it broke FTP, while FTP through NAT44 works because it
normally uses passive and even if it doesn't the NAT that I used
implements an FTP ALG.

> I guess only time would tell whether a NAT66 1:1 spec would help
> prevent such
> the transport-dependent NAT66 being _deployed_. It cannot hurt to
> write that
> spec, I suppose. In any case, the abomination will be
> _implemented_ :-( It is
> too natural/easy/tempting.

The IETF could exhibit some leadership by saying it will accommodate
the pure address rewriting that would be caused by NAT66 by making
applications that use referrals work through that, but not accommodate
port overloading. That might be enough to keep a port overloading IPv6
NAT from becoming widespread. (Or not. But it might.)

Of course the IETF could also come out and say that it will not
accommodate any type of IPv6 NAT.