Re: WG meeting structure

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Wed, 15 May 2019 02:28 UTC

Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 04:28:45 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Pete Resnick <resnick@episteme.net>
Cc: wgchairs@ietf.org
Subject: Re: WG meeting structure

A)

Given how i am a big fan of not regressing on support for remote
participation: If you do expect to enable discussion between
people sitting on the tables, then at least every second needs to have
a microphone in front of them. These additional microphones
may already be a significant org issue. Also its unclear to me how
well a single camera could capture the front-row discussion
participants. I fear it is easy to regress on our remote
participation quality. But of course, there may be WGs where there
are no remote participants.

B)

A cheaper alternative approach could be a row of "panel chairs"
in front of the screen (beside the speaker cage). In such a constrained
setup, one could still quickly enough pass around a single mike and
the existing cameras would likely easily be able to program additional
pan/tilt positions to capture the panel seats. We're already using
this setup in non-WG meetings anyhow.

C)

IMHO, the primary case where i think a room setup issue
exists is when the room is too tighly packed that there is not enough
sparse space around the audience microphones for active participants
to dynamically readjust themselves around them. SO may just make
sure rooms have enough spare space and for the big ones that will be
stuff, maybe start setting up the chairs around the mike sparsely, e.g.:
don't populate a few chairs every second like this:

		Screen
                Speaker

    XXXXXXXXXXXXX   XXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXX   XXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXX M XXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXP           PXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXPPPPP   PPPPPXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXP           PXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXPPPPP   PPPPPXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXX   XXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXX   XXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXX   XXXXXXXXXXXXX

M(icrophone).
P chairs would be reserved to be used when participating in discussion.

This would allow to overcome the problem that today everyboy who thinks
she may want to go to the mike occupies the first chair in every row and
creates head of row congestion.

Again:  Not necessary to bother IMHO when rooms are not full.

Cheers
    Toerless

--
---