WG meeting structure

"Pete Resnick" <resnick@episteme.net> Tue, 14 May 2019 23:14 UTC

From: Pete Resnick <resnick@episteme.net>
To: wgchairs@ietf.org
Subject: WG meeting structure
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 18:14:25 -0500

In part inspired by Dave Taht's thread on the IETF list; in part
something I've been thinking about for some time.

Some of us chairs would like more discussing and less presenting in WG
sessions. Even for the largest of WG sessions, I tend to see one or two
dozen people coming to the mic and discussing, and the rest just
visiting, so this is not an inconceivable idea for most WGs. Getting
this accomplished is in part having the chairs structure the agenda
somewhat differently, and we should really start discussing ways to
accomplish that. But a practical tool to promote discussion is changing
the room layout. The secretariat has already said that they're willing
to set up something like this if there are enough takers, and I know a
few chairs (including myself) who really want this, but I'd like to know
if we've got enough critical mass to try this out, at least for one or
two rooms:

The idea is to set up the room like this (check out this ASCII art!):

              +------+
              |screen|
              +------+
   X  X  X  O +-+  +-+ O  X  X  X
   X  X  X  O | |  | | O  X  X  X
   X  X  X  O |T|  |T| O  X  X  X
   X  X  X  O |a|  |a| O  X  X  X
   X  X  X  O |b|  |b| O  X  X  X
   X  X  X  O |l|  |l| O  X  X  X
   X  X  X  O |e|  |e| O  X  X  X
   X  X  X  O | |  | | O  X  X  X
   X  X  X  O | |__| | O  X  X  X
            O +______+ O
    M        O  O  O  O        M
       X  X  X  X  X  X  X  X
       X  X  X  X  X  X  X  X
       X  X  X  X  X  X  X  X
       X  X  X  X  X  X  X  X

Basically, the idea is to have U-shaped table setup, with the screen up
at the open end. You'd get people at the table all the way around (the
Os) who plan to participate in the discussion. (I've also seen this done
with nested tables for more folks in the discussion.) Rows behind (in 3
directions; the Xs) are for folks who plan to mostly just listen; those
could fill the rest of the room and could probably scale to 100 or more
seats depending on the size of the room. There would be a few wireless
mics to pass around the tables, with perhaps a fixed mic at the bottom
of the U for the WG chairs, and a couple of floor mics (the Ms) for
folks who aren't around the table who happen to have comments.

How many of you be willing to run a WG session this way if the setup was
offered?

pr
--
Pete Resnick http://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best