Re: [Idr] Adoption and IPR call for draft-wang-idr-vpn-prefix-orf-03.txt (8/16 to 8/30)

Aijun Wang <wangaijun@tsinghua.org.cn> Tue, 23 August 2022 01:15 UTC

From: Aijun Wang <wangaijun@tsinghua.org.cn>
To: 'Igor Malyushkin' <gmalyushkin@gmail.com>
Cc: 'Susan Hares' <shares@ndzh.com>, idr@ietf.org, 'Zhuangshunwan' <zhuangshunwan=40huawei.com@dmarc.ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 09:15:24 +0800
Subject: Re: [Idr] Adoption and IPR call for draft-wang-idr-vpn-prefix-orf-03.txt (8/16 to 8/30)

Hi, Igor:

The reason that we keep <RD, PE> quota in the standard is that there are possibility that the source VPN(different RD) on source PE may have different prefix advertisement limit, although it is not very common. We would like to add one section later (after the adoption?) for the “Deployment Considerations” to introduce some principles/guidelines for the quota value setting. But for standard definition itself, we should keep such granularity.

For the value of “Source PE Extended Community”, I think your argument are valid. The BGP router id of the source PE is one better value to identify the source PE, than the Next-hop value within the BGP update message. We would like to update the related contents as the followings:

     A new Extended Community: Source PE Extended Community is needed to preserve the source PE identification. Its value should be set by the RR (similar with the BGP ORIGINATOR_ID attributes) or the router that peers with the source PE (non-RR scenario), as the BGP Router ID of the corresponding BGP session. Once set and attached with the BGP update message, its value should not be changed along the advertisement path.

Wish the above proposed update contents can address your concerns.

Best Regards

Aijun Wang

China Telecom