Re: [Idr] community of the day - common header

Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org> Fri, 09 September 2016 15:38 UTC

Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2016 11:33:17 -0400
From: Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org>
To: Jared Mauch <jared@puck.Nether.net>
Cc: idr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Idr] community of the day - common header

On Thu, Sep 08, 2016 at 07:18:40PM -0400, Jared Mauch wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 08, 2016 at 05:40:31PM -0400, Jeffrey Haas wrote:
> > - We shouldn't be burning path attributes for it.  While the code space for
> >   it isn't being exhausted fast, it means the only way to discard
> >   unparseable attributes (implementation doesn't support) is a general path
> >   attribute filtering mechanism.  Such filtering mechanisms are hazardous to
> >   the incremental deployment of new BGP features.
>
> 	Is there a particular shortcoming in rfc7606 that creates this
> [moral] hazard, or are you speaking of the difficulty of writing
> the code as referenced below?

You cite the issue yourself below with the example of attr 128.  In the
absence of any ability to parse the attribute, your choice is to blindly
pass it along or to drop it.

We know these things are community-like.  Stick them under a common type and
let people's policy engines filter them.

> Any code received today will take me ~12 months to deploy.  If wide
> communities is ready to WGLC and ship with 3.1, I'd like to see movement
> immediately so we can test and plan accordingly.  ~6+ years is quite a
> long gestation period for the IETF.

This thread isn't about wide communities.  Stop making it about that.

> P.S. Jeff, lets get together in person next week if you have time.

I'm available, but at this point it's unclear if you can afford that much
beer.

-- Jeff