Re: [Add] What to do in this potential working group

Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net> Thu, 22 August 2019 07:16 UTC

From: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 10:16:51 +0300
Cc: add@ietf.org
To: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
Subject: Re: [Add] What to do in this potential working group

Adam,

>> Now, imagine that the next version of the browser comes with by-default quad-n/doh setting, and now the browser will be contacting a different server...
>
> I really wish people wouldn't persist in ignoring repeated explanations that Firefox (at least) will have actual user interaction at the time that DoH is made available in a user's region, with a one-click option to turn it off. Theoreticals that presume DoH will be activated silently …

Thanks for this. I did not know that there was a user interaction. (Is there a pointer to go read more of the details of the plan?)

However, I did not presume that there’d be no way to turn this off. Glad to hear the turn of knob is easy though.

But at the end of the day, there are two groups of users… those that will fine-tune their settings (and I’m glad that’s possible on Firefox), and those that will accept the default settings. The latter group may get notifications about things, but they are unlikely to do anything else than to accept the recommended default option. Or understand what the implications of the different options are. My mom will be in this group, and I care about what privacy settings she gets.

> imply a level of incompetence and/or malice on behalf of Mozilla's product managers that I don't believe is warranted.

I’m sorry if this was inferred. For what it is worth, I believe everyone is acting with the best intents. And are very respected experts about the complex situation. However, I think the analysis of the situation in this case has stopped short, and the implications are more dire than people thought, as outlined in previous emails. That’s ok though, the purpose of our discussions is to learn and improve. I’m happy I learned something from your email.

Jari