Re: [Ianaplan] control and negotiation (was Re: draft-ietf-ianaplan-icg-response-02 working group last call)

Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> Tue, 04 November 2014 21:51 UTC

Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 16:51:12 -0500
From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net>
To: ianaplan@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Ianaplan] control and negotiation (was Re: draft-ietf-ianaplan-icg-response-02 working group last call)

I'd kind of suggest that a traditional IETF working group is not a
sufficient body to take care of these sorts of issues.

We've been asked to submit a proposal for "the protocol parameters
community" - which is being viewed being equivalent to the IETF.
But... IETF in general, and WGs in particular, focus on technical
matters, not matters of governance, legality, or contracts.  This seems
to have been set up as a WG, because that's the standard IETF way of
doing things - but... it's kind of like the old story about looking for
one's lost keys under a lampost, because that's where the light is.

When it comes to legal, contractual, and governance matters - the IETF
is more than it's working groups, it includes the IAB, IESG, IAOC, etc
(as components of the IETF); the ISOC (as "parent" or whatever of the
ISOC); and arguably the "protocol parameters community" is more than
just the IETF.  These perspectives are reflected, at best, informally,
in the charter and discussions of the WG.

IMHO, this continues to seem inadequate as a means for reaching and
reflecting a consensus proposal from "the protocol parameters
community."  Particularly, when a good portion of those taking part in
the conversation want to avoid all but engineering issues.

Miles Fidelman