Re: Extending a /64 (ATN/IPS worked example)

Tony Whyman <tony.whyman@mccallumwhyman.com> Tue, 17 November 2020 09:26 UTC

Subject: Re: Extending a /64 (ATN/IPS worked example)
To: ipv6@ietf.org
From: Tony Whyman <tony.whyman@mccallumwhyman.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 09:26:38 +0000

On 17/11/2020 03:39, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> Excuse front posting:
>
>> Whether or not the addresses used in the control systems of aircraft are announced to the Internet, it seems completely justified to use globally unique address space to address them.
> I completely agree. That isn't where the issue lies. It's in the proposal to include 39 non-topological bits in the routeable prefix, which goes against 25 years of CIDR.
> (28 years if we respect RFC1338 as the origin document.)
>
> Regards
>     Brian Carpenter

Brian,

The "39 bits" does look like the focus of your objection and perhaps the
best way to convince you that this is the right approach is to post a
worked example. I have hung back from doing this before if only because
the ICAO working group is still evaluating mobility schemes that aim to
improve on Mobile IPv6. However, a simple example using Mobile IPv6,
with multilink extensions and Basic NEMO should be good enough to
illustrate our logic.

1. The Home Agents

The organisational model for the ATN/IPS pushes you quickly towards a
view that each aircraft operator (e.g. airline) should be responsible
for deploying a Home Agent for their aircraft. They may operate their
own Home Agent or outsource it to one of the industry's service
providers. Basically, they pay for the Home Agent and are responsible
for ensuring that their aircraft each have a Home Agent.

2. The Home Network Prefix

Each aircraft operator could individually register (e.g.) a /32 with an
RIR for their Home Network Prefix. However, there are more than 5,000
airlines and if you want to have firewall rules that refer to "all
uplink packets", an un-coordinated registration of Home Network Prefixes
would lead to a big configuration maintenance problem for every firewall
in the ATN/IPS. The preference has thus been to have a common ICAO
prefix for "all aircraft MNPs" and to allocate a Home Network Prefix to
each aircraft operator using this common prefix.

Our addressing plan allocates a /36 to each aircraft operator for use as
a Home Network Prefix, including the 15 bits used to identify each
airline. On paper, this is a more efficient use of the IPv6 address
space than a free for all, which should be seen as a potential benefit
of an ICAO administered scheme.

The /36 Home Network Prefixes should be normal routeable prefixes
leading to the aircraft operator's Home Network. I would expect that
each is advertised in the NLRI of a stable BGP route (leading to the
Home Network) with aggregation to the common ICAO prefix at the ATN
boundaries.

3. Binding Updates

This should be a textbook approach. Aircraft use Mobile IPv6 Binding
Updates to register each currently active care-of address and their MNP
with their Home Agent.

4. Forwarding to the Aircraft

An uplink packet addressed to an MNP relative destination address should
be routed to the Home Network for the aircraft's aircraft operator and
picked up by the Home Agent.

The Home Agent can now match registered MNPs against the packet's
destination address, select the care-of address, encapsulate and forward
the packet to the selected care-of address. The packet is received by
the airborne router, decapsulated and forward to its final destination
using normal forwarding procedures.

Analysis
------------

The MNP is necessarily non-topological to the underlying internet, which
is why you need something like Mobile IPv6 to make the whole thing work.
The only thing outstanding in the above is "how long a prefix is the MNP"?

Each MNP will be allocated using the aircraft's Home Network Prefix. The
rest of the MNP is just going to be a number n-bits in length. There is
no useful topological information that you can put there.

I believe that American Airlines currently has the largest fleet with
about 1,300 aircraft. You would need a minimum of 11 bits for this fleet
- rounded up to 12 for a nibble boundary.

You recently sent me a reference to a paper on prefix management and I
presume that you would favour an approach where the Home Agent was
responsible for automatically allocating an MNP to each aircraft,
perhaps using DHCPv6 PD embedded in Mobile IP exchanges.

However, there is usually a strong preference in this environment for
static allocations configured into (in this case) the aircraft. This is
all down to limiting the number of possible hazards, providing proofs of
correction configuration and so on. The regulators and safety
authorities have the last call in this area.

A Home Agent based allocation scheme would also cause problems with our
protocol gateways to legacy systems as there would need to be a
mechanism to map these allocations to ICAO 24-bit aircraft ids -
probably requiring some protocol to export the allocations from each
Home Agent and then copy them to the protocol gateways.

The options for MNP allocation can be written down as:

1. Home Agent Allocation of a /48 (Home Network Prefix plus 12 bit
aircraft identifier).

2. Airline Allocation of a /48 (Home Network Prefix plus 12 bit aircraft
identifier) and configuration of the new 12 bit aircraft identifier into
the Aircraft's Personality Module.

3. Allocation of a /60 (Home Network Prefix plus the ICAO 24-bit
identifier already configured in the Aircraft's Personality Module).

The ICAO working group has gone for option 3 on the grounds that a
24-bit identifier already exists and configured into the aircraft. It's
as near as you get to free of charge. It also supports our protocol
gateways to legacy systems without the need for mapping tables. Option 2
adds extra cost in terms of configuration management and forces a lookup
table into our protocol gateways to legacy systems and a need to provide
for timely update of this lookup table. Option 1 introduces extra
hazards due to additional protocol, ensuring that re-numbering does not
take place during flight and an additional certification cost for Home
Agents - and it also forces a lookup table into our protocol gateways to
legacy systems plus a means to communicate the allocated MNPs.

For us, Option 3 was a "no brainer" on both cost and engineering
considerations. A /60 is acceptable for an aircraft, and no one can
identify a use case where a /60 won't do and a /48 is required. If you
really think that this wasteful of a scarce resource then have a word
with my ISP and ask them why they give me a /48 for a residential
broadband service when all I need is a /64.

Hopefully this explains a few thing.

Regards

Tony Whyman, MWA