Re: [Jmap] Submission

Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@fifthhorseman.net> Wed, 19 April 2017 17:30 UTC

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@fifthhorseman.net>
To: John Levine <johnl@taugh.com>, jmap@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 12:46:08 -0400
Subject: Re: [Jmap] Submission

On Wed 2017-04-19 16:34:29 +0000, John Levine wrote:
> My strong preference would be that if you do submission, there should
> be no envelope defaults and the entire envelope must be specified by
> the client.  (This is separate from whether the submission agent
> cleans up the submitted message on the way out.)  This shouldn't be a
> burden on client writers, since the client presumably knows who it's
> sending the mail to, and it provides a straightforward way to add
> annotations to the envelope addresses, e.g., by sending a list of
> [ address, annotation, ... ] in place of a plain address.

I think you've convinced me that while it is surely easy to write a
server-side envelope synthesizer, it looks hard to write a high-quality
and robust server-side envelope sythesizer.

You've also convinced me that even if submitting envelope parameters
ends up being nominally optional, any client i work on would always
explicitly send them anyway because i'd be afraid of whatever bugs lurk
inside whatever server-side synthesizer i happen to be talking to.

So from an implementer's perspective, i don't really care about making
the submission envelope parameters optional, and would happy if JMAP
ends up requiring the client to provide them during submission.

        --dkg