Re: [Jmap] Message Tracking and JMAP extensibility (was Re: Submission is not hard)

"Adrien de Croy" <adrien@qbik.com> Sat, 22 April 2017 02:42 UTC

From: Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com>
To: Chris Newman <chris.newman@oracle.com>
Cc: "jmap@ietf.org" <jmap@ietf.org>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 02:42:31 +0000
Subject: Re: [Jmap] Message Tracking and JMAP extensibility (was Re: Submission is not hard)

I think this is just another facet of the problem around implementation
uptake of optional features.

There's still enough uncertainty about whether the entire end-to-end
path of a message will support the envelope options to cast doubt onto
any decision to implement it.  A lot of the specs for these options have
quite onerous requirements for dealing with non-compliant systems (those
that do not advertise the extension).

So I think this becomes a circular argument.  We don't make new things
because history has shown new things don't get implemented.  New things
don't get implemented because other existing things don't get upgraded
to add them.

So I believe that's an argument to put things in from the start, rather
than deferring things.

So much pain goes into trying to figure out how to deal with legacy
non-compliant systems.

So I agree with Ted, we should do JMAP right from the start, and that
can then provide some real benefit on the first hop, and real incentive
for subsequent hops rather than a lowest-common-denominator approach.
So IMO the starting point should be what can be the best possible first
hop, in terms of best possible user experience.  Because for
intra-server messaging, we can get (and then demonstrate/prove the value
of) the benefit of this from the outset.

Adrien