Re: [Jmap] Address Validation (was Re: Submission)

"Adrien de Croy" <adrien@qbik.com> Sat, 22 April 2017 01:34 UTC

From: Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com>
To: Chris Newman <chris.newman@oracle.com>
Cc: "jmap@ietf.org" <jmap@ietf.org>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 01:34:04 +0000
Subject: Re: [Jmap] Address Validation (was Re: Submission)

"two mechanisms to perform the same function is poor design"

Sorry I missed this one on the Mt Sinai tablets.

We are now and have throughout history been completely inundated with
multiple designs and implementations of things for the same function.
History has proven this to be a vital part of evolution.

Stating this is therefore by definition somehow "poor design" seems like
an argument for never improving anything.

It could just as well be argued that if the first incarnation were not
poor design there would be no need for the existence of (let alone
proposals for) the second and subsequent.  So maybe with that
interpretation you're right.

In any case validation upon submission of only local addresses is a long
way short of validation prior to submission (during composition) of
local and remote addresses, or at least even just allowing for the
possibility of this.  It's too little too late.

Adrien