Re: [dmarc-ietf] Call for Adoption: DMARC Use of the RFC5322.Sender Header Field

"Douglas E. Foster" <fosterd@bayviewphysicians.com> Tue, 06 October 2020 02:14 UTC

From: "Douglas E. Foster" <fosterd@bayviewphysicians.com>
To: dmarc@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 22:13:45 -0400
Subject: Re: [dmarc-ietf] Call for Adoption: DMARC Use of the RFC5322.Sender Header Field

>From Rewrite
------------------
The need for From rewrite was predictable, based on the experience with SPF.  It should have been included in the original specification.

SPF says that "The last domain to handle this message must authenticate itself."   If the message is sent directly, this is achieved by the domain owner's server identity, SMTP MailFrom identity, and SPF policy.   If the message is relayed for any reason, the SMTP MailFrom must be rewritten while also protecting the Return-Path.   SRS is the most common implementation for doing this, but there are other possibilities.

DMARC says that "The last domain to alter this message must authenticate itself."   If the message is sent without modification, the domain owner's DKIM signature authenticates the message whether it is sent directly or relayed.   If it is altered in transit by a mediator, the mediator must rewrite the From address while protecting the recipient's perception of authorship and also protecting the Reply-To.    The most common method seems to be user=domain@listdomain, but there are other possibilities, including my suggestion of useralias.listname@listdomain.

These requirements are inevitable consequences of the criterion being imposed.    So an important question is whether the end-user's dislike of From rewrite is sufficient reason to ignore the security benefits that DMARC provides.

Exception Mechanisms
Both SPF and DMARC are subject to configuration errors by the domain owner, as well as abuse by "essential" sources of incoming mail.  Therefore implementations SHOULD provide an exception mechanism which does not create side-effect risks.   I have major grievance with commercial products that do not provide safe and sufficient exception mechanisms.  I would like the specification to document exception handling as a requirement.

ISP Limitations
I am told that Office365 allows clients to place their own email filter in front of the one provided by Microsoft.  I don't know whether that solves the black box problem that Jesse raises.

Consensus
I thought the group had informally agreed that none of the alternative authentication mechanisms had a reasonable expectation of widespread implementation.   If so, the discussion comes down to those who believe DMARC is a disaster that needs to be undone, and those who believe that DMARC is a good thing that needs to be formalized.   I see no available path to consensus between those two positions.

Doug Foster