Re: [Gendispatch] Diversity and Inclusiveness in the IETF

Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org> Tue, 23 February 2021 20:16 UTC

From: Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2021 09:16:00 +1300
Cc: GENDISPATCH List <gendispatch@ietf.org>, Keith Moore <moore@network-heretics.com>
To: Fernando Gont <fgont@si6networks.com>
Subject: Re: [Gendispatch] Diversity and Inclusiveness in the IETF

Thanks for attempting a comprehensive overview.

Some things jumped out at me:

1.  At times the draft appears to conflate issues of 'diversity/inclusion’ with issues of ‘participation’ in general.  In case the difference is not clear - an issue with participation only becomes an issue with diversity/inclusion when one specific group of people is disproportionately affected.  Specific examples of where it does that are sections 7 (Processes), 8 (Difficulties in joining the IETF), 11.2 (Using email effectively) and 11.3 (Comfort zone), all of which are general issues with participation.

2.  At times the draft also appears to conflate issues of 'diversity/inclusion' with issues of 'conflict of interest', where that conflict of interest comes from multiple people having the same employer.  For example:

- From section 6

	Process fairness by having a very small number of interests
	judging WG consensus, community consensus, and appeals.

	Leadership selection fairness by having a limited number of
	interests participating in the NOMCOM and IAB.

Jay