RE: DMARC: perspectives from a listadmin of large open-source lists

"MH Michael Hammer (5304)" <MHammer@ag.com> Tue, 15 April 2014 21:15 UTC

From: "MH Michael Hammer (5304)" <MHammer@ag.com>
To: Hector Santos <hsantos@isdg.net>, Alessandro Vesely <vesely@tana.it>
Subject: RE: DMARC: perspectives from a listadmin of large open-source lists
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 21:15:15 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.144.15.221]
x-kse-antivirus-interceptor-info: scan successful
x-kse-antivirus-info: Clean
Cc: "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>

Many protocols do not address sudden individual implementer changes to their implementation. I do believe that there were various issues involving DNSSEC trust chains when upstream participants (including CC TLDs) implemented "sudden" changes. Are you expecting something like "MUST provide x days notice of intended change" to make it non-sudden or require a rollback if more than x mailing lists have problems? Are there any other IETF standards that would be a reference point for such a provision? I'm not trying to be cute or argumentative - I'm just not familiar with something like this in any standards I can think of.