Re: (DMARC) We've been here before, was Why mailing lists

mrex@sap.com (Martin Rex) Thu, 17 April 2014 18:18 UTC

To: John R Levine <johnl@taugh.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 20:18:15 +0200
From: mrex@sap.com
Cc: Pete Resnick <presnick@qti.qualcomm.com>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>

John R Levine wrote:
> > The originator (well, more to the point, the originator's mail server)
> > doesn't need a signal that it's a mailing list; it's simply that the
> > destination makes an "if I forward the mail, I'll be including this" piece of
> > data available, and the originator's server can then include that in the
> > signature of the message. I was thinking this could be in some special kind
> > of DMARC (or whatever) record that lived in the mailing list's domain and
> > could be queried by the originator's server.
>
> We argued at great length about this issue when we were doing DKIM.  The
> magic token has to be cryptographically tied to the contents of the
> original message, or bad guys can take the token from a real message and
> replace the body with spam.  So that means a token tied to a hash of the
> contents of the message which is, of course, a DKIM signature.  This
> scheme is equivalent to requiring that lists preserve DKIM signatures,
> which they don't.
>
> Every attempt to create a signing scheme that is flexible enough to deal
> with all the routine stuff that lists do (e.g., reorder, discard, or
> flatten MIME parts while adding the usual subject tags and body footers)
> while being robust enough to prevent bad guys from replacing the message
> with spam has completely failed.  We can try again, but I don't see any
> reason to think that the result would be any different.

I fail to understand where the problem comes from.  The idea/architecture
of the rfc822 "sent on behalf of" (Sender:) seems clear.  If anything
should be authenticated at all, then it is what _the_sender_ decides
to send.

The sender might be asserting the authorship of the message (plus or
minus a few bits) to someone else by including the authors name in
a From: field that differs from the Sender: field.

A technology that is obsessed about the contents of the From:-Field
of an rfc822/2822/5322 Email message that ignores the semantics of
the Sender: field appears broken to me.  A sender that received
the original EMail with a signature might indicate so (and authenticate
this indication), but unless the original message is included verbatim
an opaque blob, the original signature may no longer work -- such as
when a mailing list software cleans/streamlines submissions, so the
original signature should be stripped.

MUAs which are not implementing the rfc822/2822/5322 "on behalf of"
semantics of a message that carries both From: and Sender: header
fields ought to be FIXED.  Standards that build on rfc822/2822/5322
and do not respect "on behalf of" semantics of messages with
both "Sender:" and "From:" also need to be FIXED.

-Martin