Re: IETF Meeting Venue Selection Criteria

Daniel Senie <dts@senie.com> Fri, 14 October 2005 21:34 UTC

Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 17:31:47 -0400
To: Avri Doria <avri@acm.org>
From: Daniel Senie <dts@senie.com>
Cc: "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: IETF Meeting Venue Selection Criteria
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

At 11:58 AM 10/14/2005, Avri Doria wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I think there needs to be some mention of requirements such as:
>
>- MUST NOT be held in a country whose visa requirements are so
>stringent as to make it impossible or even extremely difficult for
>some participant to attend.
>
>- MUST NOT be held in a country with restrictions on freedom of
>expression, especially if these extend to the blocking of web sites
>or any other censuring of personal communications.
>
>- MUST NOT be held in a country were local participants would be
>under pressure to support national technical policies on threat of
>imprisonment or other punitive actions, for their opinions.
>
>- MUST NOT be held in a country were local participants would need
>government approval to attend.

Reading through this list, it looks to me like Canada would be a good
choice. For variety, some could be in the east, some in the west,
some in the center. The USA, at least at present, fails to meet some
of the criteria listed above and perhaps should no longer be on the
list of countries in which to host meetings. We certainly have
friends who refuse to travel here ot the US given present policies.

Of all the north american locales where I've attended IETF or NANOG
meetings, I have to say Minneapolis was outstanding, as was Montreal.
Minneapolis in March particularly was ideal. I was surprised to find
a great city with widely varied food options, great awareness and of
special diets (vegetarian/vegan), no major tourist draw to turn the
trip to the meeting into an excuse for a vacation. Montreal in winter
time similarly discourages the vacation excuse syndrome, while
providing a good locale with great services.