RE: IETF Meeting Venue Selection Criteria

"+ACI-DENG, HUI -HCHBJ+ACI-" <hdeng@hitachi.cn> Sat, 15 October 2005 03:23 UTC

Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 11:23:08 +0800
From: "+ACI-DENG, HUI -HCHBJ+ACI-" <hdeng@hitachi.cn>
To: Ole Jacobsen <ole@cisco.com>, Melinda Shore <mshore@cisco.com>
Cc: jianping@cernet.edu.cn, Avri Doria <avri@acm.org>, ietf@ietf.org, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet@consulintel.es>, wuhq@catt.ac.cn
Subject: RE: IETF Meeting Venue Selection Criteria
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

> > - MUST NOT be held in a country whose visa requirements are so
> > stringent as to make it impossible or even extremely difficult for
> > some participant to attend.
> >
> > - MUST NOT be held in a country with restrictions on freedom of
> > expression, especially if these extend to the blocking of web sites
> > or any other censuring of personal communications.
> >
> > - MUST NOT be held in a country were local participants would be
> > under pressure to support national technical policies on threat of
> > imprisonment or other punitive actions, for their opinions.
> >
> > - MUST NOT be held in a country were local participants would need
> > government approval to attend.

>The "restrictions on freedom of expression" is a little more tricky and one
>could argue that the IETF should not be in the business of trying to change
>policy at that level. China comes to mind as a place we could not go by this
>rule, but a lot of people seem to belive that "constructive engagement" is
>more successful than boycott.

Please allow me speak something personally,

I come from Beijing China,  continuously attended IETF meeting six times. (freshman),
hosted Chinese participants parties each time. There are more than 40 chinese attendees
made a getting together in last IETF Paris Meeting right after Technical Plenary on thursday.

This February, we hosted a workshop which is related to IETF MIP6,MIP4, NEMO working group.
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mip6/current/msg02353.html
In Feb. 2006, we are currently planing to continue to host this workshop which is related to
IETF more working groups. If you are interested in help to bridge between IETF and China.
Please don't hesitate to contact with us.

Regarding to " Blocked  sites, redirected dns, registration and arrest of bloggers etc"
I already have to explain too many times with people who come from IETF to China.
What I asked is just one question " Do you have any problem to visit any website or using VPN in China".
The answer what I heard is just "No",  What I recommend is please come to China and see what she
really is other than judgement based on other'other'other peoples talking.

I understand some people who come from freedom country would like to visit both
"Anti-China website and terrorist", then there will be not reachable, in that case
what I can suggest is " Please be patient just only 1 week (IETF meeting time), after
you return back to your freedom country, please continue to do Anti-China acitivity as you like.

This weekend, Formula 1 will be held in Shanghai, China
http://www.formula1.com/

Next next week, 3GPP2 meeting will be held in Beijing, China.
Others like 3GPP, and ITU, OMA, IEEE intermediate meeting were already held in China.

2008 Olmpic Game, Beijing, China
http://en.beijing-2008.org/33/28/homepage211612833.shtml

2010 World Expo, Shanghai, China
http://www.expo2010china.com/expo/english/eu/index.html

Then my question goes to "why IETF could not come to China?"

If IETF think that China is too poor and technology is pretty lag behind,
I agree and accept, but we chinese really expected that more help
could come from IETF to change ours life.

Shall we make a more "constructive engagement"

Thanks

-Hui

Disclaimer:
The contents of this e-mail, and its attachments, if any, are confidential and may be protected
by law against any unauthorized use.  If you have received this e-mail by mistake or have
reason to believe that you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by reply
e-mail as soon as possible and delete it from your computer system immediately thereafter.
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy this e-mail or attachment or disclose
the contents to any other person.  While we have made every effort to keep our network virus free,
we take no responsibility for any computer virus which might be transferred by way of this e-mail.