Re: IETF Meeting Venue Selection Criteria

Avri Doria <avri@acm.org> Fri, 14 October 2005 17:38 UTC

From: Avri Doria <avri@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 13:38:29 -0400
To: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>
Cc: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: IETF Meeting Venue Selection Criteria
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

On 14 okt 2005, at 13.19, Jari Arkko wrote:

> Freedom of expression is another matter, and would be slippery
> slope indeed. I think in most cases we would be better off
> being open and constructive, and helping more people understand
> what our views are than to refuse contact.

I agree, and that is why I tired to include specific issues, though
admit that part needs greater specificity.  I think the slippery
slope can be avoided by designating specific acts that make a site
unacceptable.

One can safely argue that everywhere censures something, however,
some well known practices are more serious then others.  Blocked
sites, redirected dns, registration and arrest of bloggers etc
stand out as things that can be stated specifically and not subject
to much interpretation (ok, as anyone who knows me knows, i believe
everything is subject to some degree of interpretation).

As for being open and constructive, I agree that in principle this is
a good goal.  however, i beleive it is a goal that exists on its own
slippery slope, a slope that ends in appeasement and acquiescence to
practices we would prefer not to support.  I think a better path to
openness is to set a good example and to invite all to participate
and to make it easy for them to participate (ref. the visa rules - i
also advocate subsidized attendance fees - but that is another issue).

a.