Re: IETF Meeting Venue Selection Criteria - working environment, newbies, and country specific restrictions

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet@consulintel.es> Sat, 22 October 2005 17:23 UTC

Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 08:46:50 -0700
From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet@consulintel.es>
To: "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: IETF Meeting Venue Selection Criteria - working environment, newbies, and country specific restrictions
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Avri,

While I personally agree with all this, I'm not sure we should go so far as
strict MUST NOT ...

Reading the rest of the comments, I think the conclusions are something like
(not necessarily contiguous text in a single place in the document, so needs
to be coherently integrated):

The productivity of working groups in IETF meetings is very important, this
means that the "ideal" venue should try to facilitate good participation
from frequent WG contributors and lots of local participation (newbies which
often want to participate again in the future and become our next generation
of contributors).

The working environment should enable to do our business without too much
hassle. For instance, toughness of visa criteria and/or length of process,
excluded contributors are factors.

The average time required to apply for & issue a visitor visa suitable for a
short-term visit for the IETF business need to confirmed. If is not
predictable in advance and measurable in small numbers of months, that
itself is a barrier to participation to be seriously considered, together
with the cost of that process. Special considerations must be made by the
IAD in case the visa requirements are so stringent as to make it impossible
or even extremely difficult for some participants to attend.

The rotation of locations for the increased participation of new people is
also very important.

Is expected that the country hosting the IETF meeting should not restrict
the participants freedom of expression, for example by blocking web sites or
redirecting dns which may be required during the meeting for usual
participants business, censoring of personal communications, blocking of
VPN/SSH and other similar practices.

It is also a barrier to be seriously considered if local participants
attending the IETF could be under pressure to support national technical
policies on threat of imprisonment or other punitive actions, for their
opinions.

Finally, it should be possible for local participants to attend the meeting
without any special government approval. Otherwise, the venue does not
support the increased local participation, which is one of the goals for
this criteria.

Comments ?

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Avri Doria <avri@acm.org>
> Responder a: <ietf-bounces@ietf.org>
> Fecha: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:58:32 -0400
> Para: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet@consulintel.es>
> CC: "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>
> Asunto: Re: IETF Meeting Venue Selection Criteria
>

> Hi,
>
> I think there needs to be some mention of requirements such as:
>
> - MUST NOT be held in a country whose visa requirements are so
> stringent as to make it impossible or even extremely difficult for
> some participant to attend.
>
> - MUST NOT be held in a country with restrictions on freedom of
> expression, especially if these extend to the blocking of web sites
> or any other censuring of personal communications.
>
> - MUST NOT be held in a country were local participants would be
> under pressure to support national technical policies on threat of
> imprisonment or other punitive actions, for their opinions.
>
> - MUST NOT be held in a country were local participants would need
> government approval to attend.
>
> a.

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Barcelona 2005 Global IPv6 Summit