Re: Re: IETF Meeting Venue Selection Criteria

John Loughney <john.loughney@kolumbus.fi> Sun, 23 October 2005 05:41 UTC

From: John Loughney <john.loughney@kolumbus.fi>
To: jordi.palet@consulintel.es, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 08:41:20 +0300
Subject: Re: Re: IETF Meeting Venue Selection Criteria
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Dave, Jordi,

I think this is a non-issue.  If participants are motivated, they will show-up. If their employer values their work, they will cover the meeting costs.  Other SDOs have more extensive travel destinations than the IETF, and participants in those organizations cope.  The IETF is an global body we just have to deal with that.

I dislike the 'primary contributors' concept very, very much.  What it is saying is that there are participants, but only a few of them really matter, and that it is possible to measure this.  In working groups I have chaired, we've had a pretty good dispersal of active contributors, but the active contributors have come and gone & sometimes come back again.

If some active contributors can't make an IETF meeting because of location, and forward progress is needed, have an interim meeting at a more agreeable location.
John