Re: RFC Series Editor (RSE) Statement of Work

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Mon, 22 July 2019 14:35 UTC

Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 10:35:27 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Keith Moore <moore@network-heretics.com>
cc: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: RFC Series Editor (RSE) Statement of Work

Keith,

One observation:  "replace Jon Postel" has never been a
realistic goal.  Jon, in combination with Joyce Reynolds (and
I'm very concerned about what it might mean that we keep
forgetting her and her role) were carrying out the role of the
current RSE and ISE (and, for a long time, doing most of the
editing).  However, they were also exercising a strong technical
role, including applying a check on the technical quality,
sensibility, and even sanity of what was submitted  to them.  In
the reorganized model, we have split the RSE and ISE roles out
and have dropped that technical sanity check role for the RFC
Editor function (outside the Independent Stream) entirely,
trusting the Streams to get their own documents right.   Those
decisions were very explicit and the knowledge that we weren't
going to find another Jon Postel was a large part of the reason
for the redesign of what we now call the RFE Editor model.

Heather has been a demonstration of the above.  She has, in my
opinion (and apparently that of others) done a superb job.  She
has even done some things that the community thinks are
important that I don't believe Jon would have spent time on.
But she is no Jon Postel and has, as far as I know, shown no
signs of thinking that she is.

Indeed, I would consider anyone who believed they could run the
Series the way Jon did, applying all of the skills and authority
that he had, to be too self-deluded to be an appropriate
candidate for the job.

   best,
     john

--On Monday, July 22, 2019 10:05 -0400 Keith Moore