Re: RFC Series Editor (RSE) Statement of Work

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Mon, 22 July 2019 13:09 UTC

Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 09:09:44 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, Richard Barnes <rlb@ipv.sx>, Sarah B <sbanks@encrypted.net>
cc: RSOC <rsoc@iab.org>, IETF discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: RFC Series Editor (RSE) Statement of Work

Brian,

I agree and would add two things both of which, like you, I've
shared with various others.   First, for at least a significant
fraction of those who would be appropriate for the RSE role,
even describing the process as a "bid" will turn people off and
prevent them from applying, no matter how they are recruited.
Second, if we go with a search firm, it must be one with
specific expertise and experience recruiting senior people with
technical, preferable standard-related technical, and strategic
publishing experience, not one whose skills lie in engineering
recruitment.   If we ignore either of those things (or your
other comments), we ate quite likely to get whatever the process
and people that created this mess deserves but not what the
broader Internet community (not just the IETF need and deserve).
Or, to say that differently, however bad the current situation
is, it could be made worse.

best,
   john

--On Tuesday, July 23, 2019 00:52 +1200 Brian E Carpenter