RE: [Ltru] Is 639-3 bogus ?

Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com> Tue, 10 October 2006 21:16 UTC

Subject: RE: [Ltru] Is 639-3 bogus ?
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 14:15:35 -0700
From: Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com>
To: Addison Phillips <addison@yahoo-inc.com>, John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Cc: ltru@ietf.org

In ISO 639-3 terms "collection" is a scope, not a type.

_Scope_ refers to how broad is the range of linguistic varieties encompassed in the denotation of an ID, with four possible values considered in 639-3: individual language, macrolanguage, collection and special purpose. (A fifth value, dialect, might be relevant to another part of ISO 639.) The scope attribute is a normative attribute in ISO 639-3.

_Type_ refers to the currency and genetic nature of the language: living, (recently) extinct, historic (precursor of a modern language), ancient (went extinct in non-recent past), constructed. Entries with a special-purpose scope do not have a type value. Type is an informative attribute.

The scope attribute is directly relevant to the LSR if (i) macro-language scope of an ID is relevant for contructing tags with extlang subtags, and if (ii) use if collection or special-purpose IDs is in any way discouraged.

Peter