Re: [Ltru] Re: Proposal: include new "Language-Type:" field

Addison Phillips <addison@yahoo-inc.com> Mon, 09 October 2006 23:21 UTC

Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 16:21:36 -0700
From: Addison Phillips <addison@yahoo-inc.com>
To: "McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald@sharplabs.com>
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Re: Proposal: include new "Language-Type:" field
Cc: ltru@ietf.org

McDonald, Ira wrote:

> draft-ietf-ltru-4646bis-00.txt gives advice based on the type
> of the ISO 639-3 language code.  What possible reason is
> there to say "that's the problem of the user to research",
> when it's fundamental to the rationale behind every code
> in ISO 639-3?

Upon further review, I find that I'm more of Mark's persuasion. John's
proposal appeared, at first, to me to provide some way to distinguish
"collective" languages and "macro-languages", but, in fact, it only
distinguishes the former and not the latter. It then goes on to
distinguish a number of other language characteristics (most of which
are inherent in the language itself: users of the respective languages
know that Middle English is "ancient" or "extinct", or that Klingon is
constructed)

At present, it would be useful to identify which language codes are
macro-languages, i.e. which ones can "bear" an extlang (and which ones
cannot) and reflect that in the registry.

The information about extinct, ancient, historic, or constructedness of
languages is "interesting", but not really necessary to the functions of
the registry. The ILSR is not a replacement for ISO 639.

I would support John's proposal fully if and only if it distinguished
collective and macro languages for use in the registration process.

Otherwise, as written:

    -1

Addison

--