RE: [Ltru] Re: Is 639-3 bogus ?

Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com> Wed, 11 October 2006 01:43 UTC

Subject: RE: [Ltru] Re: Is 639-3 bogus ?
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 18:42:59 -0700
From: Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com>
To: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>, ltru@lists.ietf.org

Can I suggest that, next time, it would help if you stated clearly at the outset what your concerns are. It's taken me several rounds going back and forth with you to drag out what it is you're going on about.

Re entries in the 639-3 draft code table for ancient and constructed languages, the Linguist List was the source for those, and presumably they had a reason why each of these was deemed to have a need. If you have a question about the usefulness of orq or any other entry, you can contact Anthony Aristar or Debbie Anderson.

Re the characters used in the names, the source for the large inventory of entries of modern and recently-extinct languages came from a database that has a history going back several decades. By the time 639-3 is published, some of the spellings may be revised, or some may be revised over the life of maintenance for the code set. It was not considered a prerequisite to normalize the spellings to conform to any particular expectations prior to initial publication.

If you see two entries -- two distinct IDs -- then the language varieties denoted are deemed to be distinct languages. The fact that they have similar spellings is coincidental. The language names connected with "byj" and "bmn" are even more similar than the pair you cited; that doesn't mean that the entries are suspect.

The source for the majority of new entries in 639-3 has been published for many years -- it's in its fifteenth edition -- and has been widely used and reviewed by linguists throughout the world.

IMO, there's no particular reason for members of this WG to be second guessing whether the content of ISO 639-3 is good enough for use in the LSR.

Going back to where this started, you responded to comments I made about how the type information in 639-3 may be useful to a user. "That's the job of a comment or description," you said. It's still not clear to me if you had a comment to make wrt John's proposal or not.

Peter