Re: [rtcweb] Consensus vs. Voting (was Re: Call for Consensus Regarding Selecting Recommended Audio Codecs) (UNCLASSIFIED)

"Roy, Radhika R CIV USARMY (US)" <radhika.r.roy.civ@mail.mil> Thu, 17 January 2013 14:10 UTC

From: "Roy, Radhika R CIV USARMY (US)" <radhika.r.roy.civ@mail.mil>
To: Burger Eric <eburger@cs.georgetown.edu>, "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 14:11:23 +0000
x-originating-ip: [131.64.62.4]
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Consensus vs. Voting (was Re: Call for Consensus Regarding Selecting Recommended Audio Codecs) (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Folks:

If transcoding is happening today in real-life situations and people are
happy with the quality (assuming transcoding cost is negligible), we should
not even need negotiations for the codec. Life will be simpler (if not
simplest).

Let us explore the audio codec options as stated below.

If people want negotiations as far as practicable for a common codec before
going for transcoding, then the question comes as follows:

"At what point of negotiations, people will decide that we have to go for
transcoding?"

It appears that we should not go both ways (negotiations + transcoding).

On the other hand, we can mandate two audio codecs: one for wired network
and another for mobile wireless network.

In this way, transcoding may occur only once for the calls that go between
the wired and the wireless (mobile) network.

If we want only one codec without any transcoding for both wireless (mobile)
and wired network, we need to go for a single codec whose quality is
reasonably acceptable for both wired and wireless (mobile) network.

If we make more than two (wired + wireless) codecs mandatory, we can do so
if the implementation cost is negligible.

BR/Radhika