Re: [perpass] perens-perpass-appropriate-response-01

Bruce Perens <bruce@perens.com> Wed, 04 December 2013 17:09 UTC

Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 09:09:44 -0800
From: Bruce Perens <bruce@perens.com>
To: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
Cc: perpass@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [perpass] perens-perpass-appropriate-response-01

On 12/04/2013 03:13 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
But the Internet is international. My surveillance (not me, personally, but because it monitors everyone) by the NSA is certainly illegal in my country. Whether or not it is legal in the USA is irrelevant to me. Therefore, any technical measure against it is fair game.
France and the US are partners in NATO, and there are conflicting reports regarding France's participation in something called ECHELON.

The potential is that you could be giving aid and comfort to "the enemy" by constructing a technical hinderance to intelligence gathering by your own national intelligence agency or by your country's intelligence partners. It looks from here that this falls under the later paragraphs of France's penal code definition of treason.

IMO this is reason to be careful.
Is there a serious comparison somewhere about the relative cost of encryption when we routinely access HD video files? I am not sure at all that encryption is the main cost.
I'm sure it isn't. The point is just about unnecessary waste.

    Thanks

    Bruce