Re: [rtcweb] Use Case draft (privacy)

"Hutton, Andrew" <andrew.hutton@siemens-enterprise.com> Mon, 30 April 2012 11:38 UTC

From: "Hutton, Andrew" <andrew.hutton@siemens-enterprise.com>
To: "Ravindran, Parthasarathi" <pravindran@sonusnet.com>, "Fabio Pietrosanti (naif)" <lists@infosecurity.ch>, "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 13:38:18 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Use Case draft (privacy)

Hi,

I also agree that calling a corporate call center is an interesting use case and I think we discussed it in the past in the context of media recording and identity.

When calling your bank it is only necessary to know that you are talking to a representative of mybank.com the bank certainly does not want to release the identity of the call centre agent you are talking to. From the consumer perspective they want to be sure that the call really did reach mybank.com but from there on they have to trust the bank with their information and really this is no different for audio/video than it is for text entered on a web page and of course the bank will record the audio.

In this scenario it is really not useful to confuse the calling user with indications of whether the bank encrypts the audio/video when handling it internally or not it is enough to know that they have a secure connection to their bank.

Regards
Andy