Re: [rtcweb] Use Case draft - Eavesdropping.

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Wed, 02 May 2012 13:40 UTC

Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 15:40:44 +0200
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Use Case draft - Eavesdropping.

On 05/01/2012 04:14 PM, Cavigioli, Chris wrote:
> Wording needs to be clarified.
> - "Eavesdropping" has a negative connotation of someone inappropriately listening in to another communication.  This should not happen.
> - "Lawful intercept" is something telecom service providers are required to provide to law enforcement with all appropriate safeguards in place http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawful_interception
> -chris
In fact the RAVEN RFC spent some time defining wiretapping:

    Wiretapping is what occurs when information passed across the
    Internet from one party to one or more other parties is delivered to
    a third party:

    1. Without the sending party knowing about the third party

    2. Without any of the recipient parties knowing about the delivery to
       the third party

    3. When the normal expectation of the sender is that the transmitted
       information will only be seen by the recipient parties or parties
       obliged to keep the information in confidence

    4. When the third party acts deliberately to target the transmission
       of the first party, either because he is of interest, or because
       the second party's reception is of interest.

    The term "party", as used here, can refer to one person, a group of
    persons, or equipment acting on behalf of persons; the term "party"
    is used for brevity.

    Of course, many wiretaps will be bidirectional, monitoring traffic
    sent by two or more parties to each other.

    Thus, for instance, monitoring public newsgroups is not wiretapping
    (condition 3 violated), random monitoring of a large population is
    not wiretapping (condition 4 violated), a recipient passing on
    private email is not wiretapping (condition 2 violated).

The call center case isn't wiretapping by RAVEN's definition, since
conditions 1 and 2 don't hold.

Note also that chapter 4 of RAVEN is entitled "Why the IETF does not
take a moral position".