Re: [v6ops] draft-ietf-v6ops-mobile-device-profile last call

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Fri, 30 January 2015 08:20 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, Lorenzo Colitti <lorenzo@google.com>, "Fred Baker (fred)" <fred@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 08:20:45 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.1]
Cc: "draft-ietf-v6ops-mobile-device-profile.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-v6ops-mobile-device-profile.all@tools.ietf.org>, V6 Ops List <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] draft-ietf-v6ops-mobile-device-profile last call

Hi Brian,

Thank you for the comments.

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Brian E Carpenter [mailto:brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com]
Envoyé : jeudi 29 janvier 2015 21:39
À : Lorenzo Colitti; Fred Baker (fred)
Cc : draft-ietf-v6ops-mobile-device-profile.all@tools.ietf.org; V6 Ops List

To be honest I stopped tracking this draft a long time ago,
so didn't speak up during the first WGLC. But I think I'm
in the rough with Lorenzo. The document reads like somebody's
procurement spec, not like a set of recommendations for
generic interoperability. And the devil is in the details.
For example, I noticed a point where I have a little skin
in the game:

   APP_REC#3:  Applications provided by the mobile device vendor that
               use Uniform Resource Identifiers (URIs) must follow
               [RFC3986].  For example, SIP applications must follow the
               correction defined in [RFC5954].

So, does that requirement include the updates to RFC 3986 (i.e. RFC 6874
and 7320)?

[Med] The main entry is RFC3986; updates to that RFC can be added.

 And how is applying a correction to RFC 3261 an "example"
of following RFC 3986? And anyway, shouldn't this be in a SIP profile,
not here?

[Med] SIP is an example of application for which the initial specification included a broken IPv6 ABNF + broken URI comparison rules. We provided the SIP example to illustrate which rules must be followed.

That's an illustration of why this document positioned as an IETF work
product makes me uncomfortable. I imagine there are many other similar
hidden issues.

[Med] It would be helpful if those were called out, no?

    Brian