Re: [Ianaplan] A draft for your review

"Leslie Daigle (TCE)" <ldaigle@thinkingcat.com> Wed, 03 September 2014 21:45 UTC

Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 17:44:31 -0400
From: "Leslie Daigle (TCE)" <ldaigle@thinkingcat.com>
To: Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com>, ianaplan@ietf.org
Cc: Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>
Subject: Re: [Ianaplan] A draft for your review

I have to say, I stumbled over the "customer" wording, too.  It seems to
me that a key thing for the protocol parameters is to make sure it is
crystal clear that the IETF drives its use of this function.  While I
agree completely that it is the IETF that is the customer, I think we'd
best be clear that it is only in the sense of selecting a service
provider to implement the function.

To that end, I wonder about undoing the re-ordering of the bullets in
the RFP, to define the service first.

[From the draft:]
>      o A description of the service or activity.
>

>    IETF Response:
>
>    Many IETF protocols make use of commonly defined protocol parameters.
>    These parameters are used by implementers, who are the IETF's primary
>    users of the IETF standards and other documents.  To ensure
>    consistent interpretation of these parameter values by independent
>    implementations, a globally available registry contains the parameter
>    values and a pointer to documentation of the associated semantic
>    intent.  The IETF uses the IANA protocol parameter registries for
>    this purpose.

Perhaps, instead:
    Many IETF protocols require the use of protocol parameters.
    These parameters are used by implementers, who are the primary
    users of the IETF standards and other documents.  To ensure
    consistent interpretation of these parameter values by independent
    implementations, these IETF protocol specifications define and
require a globally available registry containing the parameter
    values and a pointer to documentation of the associated semantic
    intent.  The IETF uses the IANA protocol parameter registries to
implement such registries.

And then:

> I.  Description of Community's Use of IANA Functions
>

>       This section should list the specific, distinct IANA services or
>       activities your community relies on. For each IANA service or
>       activity on which your community relies, please provide the
>       following:
>
>        o A description of the customer(s) of the service or activity.
>       [N.B. the IETF response has swapped this question with the next.]

As noted above -- I'm not sure swapping is helpful.

>    IETF Response:
>
>    The customer of the IANA protocol parameters function is the Internet
>    Engineering Task Force (IETF).

Perhaps instead:

"The IETF is a customer of the IANA protocol parameter function to
implement its standards' protocol registries."

If we want to mark all four corners:

> o What registries are involved in providing the service or
>          activity.
>

>    IETF Response:
>
>    Administration of the protocol registries are themselves the service
>    that is provided to the IETF community by ICANN.

Perhaps:

"The protocol parameter registries are the product of IETF work.
Administration of the protocol parameter registries is the service that
is provide to the IETF [no "community" -- it's the organization] by ICANN."

Just some thoughts.

Leslie.