[Netext] next steps for netext

gerardog at qualcomm.com (Giaretta, Gerardo) Tue, 07 April 2009 15:33 UTC

From: "gerardog at qualcomm.com"
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 08:33:42 -0700
Subject: [Netext] next steps for netext

Hi Domagoj,

A couple of clarifications below.

3GPP allows both PMIPv6 and DSMIPv6 for inter-access handover. PMIPv6 is used for LTE-eHRPD handovers and 3GPP2 designed a new link layer for eHRPD exactly because that was needed for PMIPv6. For example 3G-WLAN inter-system handover is only specified for DSMIPv6 in 3GPP. So let's be clear and stop claiming 3GPP needs PMIPv6 extensions.

On the WiMAX side, I know there are still open issues (discussed at the last 3GPP SA2 meeting) to make a handover between 3GPP and WiMAX with PMIPv6 working.

> Such
> large scale managed networks are the main consumers of PMIP6 so we shouldn't
> be ignoring what they're doing.

This is mainly true for intra-technology mobility - and note that I am considering LTE-eHRPD intra-technology here as they are homogeneous from a link layer point of view.

Gerardo