[Netext] next steps for netext

gerardog at qualcomm.com (Giaretta, Gerardo) Wed, 08 April 2009 22:41 UTC

From: "gerardog at qualcomm.com"
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 15:41:46 -0700
Subject: [Netext] next steps for netext
References: <C6024F8D.26581%basavaraj.patil@nokia.com> <Pine.GSO.4.63.0904081218050.25055@irp-view13.cisco.com> <9708A442043F44BFA590CE1FA8BB8C1C@ww300.siemens.net> <Pine.GSO.4.63.0904081442190.2863@sgundave-sb100.cisco.com> <8301B987256D41128165F847C2AE5A3B@ww300.siemens.net> <Pine.GSO.4.63.0904081508180.2863@sgundave-sb100.cisco.com> <057632CE4CE10D45A1A3D6D19206C3A3DF6932DC@NASANEXMB08.na.qualcomm.com> <Pine.GSO.4.63.0904081525170.2863@sgundave-sb100.cisco.com>

> Hi Gerardo,
>
> > What is the different between:
> > - the mobile sending a L2 message named "Attach Type" which triggers the PBU
> and the HI included in it
> > - the mobile sending a L3 message named "Registration Request" or "Binding
> Update"
> >

> Sure, there is a difference:
>
> - The mobile making a simple attach decision, vs doing all the
>    protocol work specified in MIPv6, DSMIP, IKE and IPsec specs.
>    Constant signaling, tunneling over the air link.

Constant signaling???

For tunneling over the air IETF already defined solutions. You will need ROHC with or without MIPv6 (i.e. for VoIP)

> - Building a Mobile IPv6 stack, IKEv2, IPsec, DSMIP6 stack on to
>    Windows, all variants of Linux, MAC OS/X .... zillion other
>    platforms and doing interop testing.

Indeed, you are not doing interop testing because your L2 colleagues need to do them, you are just moving the problem to another department.

>   Vs, building a simple
>    application for L2 triggers, or modifying client stack for the
>    same, the efforts are of different order.
>
> The simple L2 message, saves me from all the above.

Just because you don't implement it and others specify and implement it :-)
And other SDOs will define different L2 messages which may not provide all enough information for your MAG.

> And I
> cant convince Apple to bundle MIPv6 stack or atleast allow me to
> build it using their SDK.

OK, convince them to go to change 802.11 standard and to implement a L2 indication for PMIPv6 then ;-)
And also to change the 3G standard and to implement the L2 indication for PMIPv6 also there.

Gerardo