Re: Terminology discussion threads

Pete Resnick <resnick@episteme.net> Thu, 13 August 2020 20:29 UTC

From: Pete Resnick <resnick@episteme.net>
To: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
Cc: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, IETF Sergeant-at-Arms <saa@ietf.org>, IETF <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Terminology discussion threads
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 15:29:40 -0500

On 13 Aug 2020, at 13:15, Toerless Eckert wrote:

> If the topic is meant to be disucssed an a gendispatch interrim, would
> it not too be
> appropriate to ask for the discussion to go to gendispatch mailing
> list until that
> group has decided on a better place ?

Speaking as one of the two gendispatch chairs: I supported the idea of
bringing this topic to a gendispatch interim because I think in a
(virtual) f2f we can probably sort out a way for this discussion to be
had in a reasonable forum, bring that solution back to the gendispatch
list, and then have gendispatch recommend to the Gen AD what to do with
this work. (Which is not to say that we will definitely recommend that
the work continue; we have a number of possible outcomes. But I think we
can successfully have that conversation.)

However, I did not, as one of the gendispatch chairs, sign up to
moderate the entire discussion of IETF guidance or policy around
oppressive or exclusionary language in documents. I agree with the IETF
Chair that the discussion on the IETF list was at least unproductively
spinning its wheels and probably causing harm in and of itself, and that
a pause in the conversation on the IETF list was justified. I also
understand that having a gendispatch interim and the subsequent
discussion on the gendispatch list in order to dispatch the topic to
some other forum (or to reject the work item) is likely to involve some
amount of discussion on the merits of the topic, and I'm prepared to
moderate that level of discussion. But I'm not inclined to be given the
task to actually bring this discussion to conclusion. It's out of
charter for gendispatch, I don't think it will be productive on the
gendispatch list, and it's more than a bit beyond what I'm willing to
take on right now.

I am sorry that gendispatch was unable to have dispatched this before
the discussion on the IETF list got this far. But we are where we are.
I'm committed to getting an interim or two scheduled for "a few days
plus 2 weeks" from now, and to push the list to  make a recommendation
to the AD exceedingly quickly after that. That's all I can do.

pr
--
Pete Resnick https://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best