Re: [IAB] Change in Sunday Newcomer Activities for IETF 105

Wes Hardaker <wjhns1@hardakers.net> Mon, 06 May 2019 17:22 UTC

From: Wes Hardaker <wjhns1@hardakers.net>
To: Stewart Bryant <stewart.bryant@gmail.com>
Cc: Karen O'Donoghue <odonoghue@isoc.org>, "wgchairs@ietf.org" <wgchairs@ietf.org>, "iab@iab.org" <iab@iab.org>, The IESG <iesg-secretary@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [IAB] Change in Sunday Newcomer Activities for IETF 105
Date: Mon, 06 May 2019 10:22:06 -0700

Stewart Bryant <stewart.bryant@gmail.com> writes:

> Whilst that was not its intended purpose, as a venue for the chairs
> and ADs to find each other before the meeting started and sync up on
> matters that need to be resolved ahead of the other sessions it was
> very useful in making the main business of the IETF meeting more
> successful.

I think that's a very valid point (along with the dialog that followed,
which was all valid as well), and confirms exactly what the problem was:
it was advertised as a session to help newcomers but wasn't looked at
that way by most senior IETF folks actually going to it.  It sounds like
people would actually rather not have the newcomers participate in it at
all but instead having a leadership gathering, which is far outside the
scope of the EDU team and it's purpose certainly.  And begins to look
exclusionary too, if you stare at it long enough.

Side question: if you need (quiet) time to catch up with
chairs/ADs/whatever, why can't you schedule that time instead regardless
of whether there is a restricted-access social or not?  If there was a
blank hour in the Sunday agenda why wouldn't that work just as well?

[the obvious answer to me is that if everyone is in the same room, it
makes bouncing between people better but adds the risk that you still
won't talk to everyone you wanted to because it wasn't a scheduled meet-up]

--
Wes Hardaker
USC/ISI