Re: Hotel situation

Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@randy.pensive.org> Sat, 09 January 2016 00:11 UTC

Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2016 16:10:56 -0800
To: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>, IETF Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>
From: Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@randy.pensive.org>
Subject: Re: Hotel situation

At 10:01 AM -0500 1/5/16, John C Klensin wrote:

>  That leads to another conclusion: many locations have clear
>  "low" and "high" seasons.  They can be great meeting locations
>  in the low seasons because hotels and other facilities are
>  hungry and more anxious to accommodate (on rates, room blocks,
>  and more generally) than when they are convinced that most of
>  their rooms will be filled no matter what they do.  Minneapolis
>  or Toronto in the dead of winter or Phoenix in July might be
>  good examples of that -- whether those are tourist destinations
>  in the high season or not, they almost certainly are not in the
>  low season.

Even shoulder seasons can be a great time to visit, for the same reasons.

Also, contrary to what one might expect, November is not high season
in Hawaii.  Depending on which guide you trust, November is either
low season or shoulder season.

Hawaii seasons:

	*	high season: June to August, late December to early January
	*	low season: mid-January to March
	*	shoulder season: mid-March to May, September to November
	(per http://www.smartertravel.com/travel-guides/page.php?id=102383)

And:

----------
Most visitors come to Hawaii when the weather is lousy most
everywhere else. Thus, the high season-when prices are up and resorts
are often booked to capacity-is generally from mid-December to March
or mid-April. The last 2 weeks of December, in particular, are prime
time for travel to Hawaii. Spring break is also jam-packed with
families taking advantage of the school holiday. If you're planning a
trip during peak season, make your hotel and rental car reservations
as early as possible, expect crowds, and prepare to pay top dollar.

The off season, when the best rates are available and the islands are
less crowded, is late spring (mid-Apr to early June) and fall (Sept
to mid-Dec).

If you plan to travel in summer (June-Aug), don't expect to see the
fantastic bargains of spring and fall-this is prime time for family
travel. But you'll still find much better deals on packages, airfare,
and accommodations in summer than in the winter months.
(per http://www.frommers.com/destinations/hawaii/793865)

--
Randall Gellens
Democracy is a beautiful thing, except for that part about letting