[v6ops] ULA draft revision #2 Regarding isolated networks

"Liubing (Leo)" <leo.liubing@huawei.com> Mon, 26 May 2014 12:37 UTC

From: "Liubing (Leo)" <leo.liubing@huawei.com>
To: v6ops WG <v6ops@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 12:36:50 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.98.132]
Cc: "v6ops-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <v6ops-chairs@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: [v6ops] ULA draft revision #2 Regarding isolated networks

Hi, All

We're going to update the ULA draft. Before making a new version, I think it would be helpful to confirm/discuss several important topics which were discussed in last IETF meeting.

I'd like to discuss the topics in different mail threads respectively.
(Current Draft link: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-ula-usage-recommendations-02)

#2 Regarding isolated networks

Current draft is a little blurry on what the "isolated" means. Based on former discussion, we'll make it more comprehensive description as the following (just a summary, not the specific revision wording):

- "Temporarily isolated" or "Forever isolated". In general, ULAs fit both cases. Whatever it is temporarily or forever, when administrators need some prefixes to be on-demand and free to use, ULAs are good choice. However, for the temporarily isolated cases, the administrator needs to consider once it gets to connected, the hosts might need to be renumbered; or NAT might be involved if renumbering is not acceptable. If renumbering or NAT for some reason is considered as heavy burden, then the administrators need to carefully consider the adoption of ULAs.

- "Isolated to all networks" or "Isolated to the public Internet". These are two separate scenarios. However, in the perspective of adopting ULAs, there is no essential difference between them. So long as it doesn't connect to the global Internet, ULAs fit them as well. Comparing to other alternatives (an arbitrary GUA, or documentation prefixes), ULAs could provide a lower possibility of collision if they are generated according to the standard method. And the ACL rules for ULAs are much convenient to be set than arbitrary prefixes, to prevent the prefixes leaked if the isolated networks occasionally connected to the global networks.

Please send your comments. Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
Bing