Re: [apps-discuss] IETF technical plenary: the end of application protocols

Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org> Mon, 21 March 2011 16:54 UTC

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 16:55:31 +0000
From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
To: dcrocker@bbiw.net
Cc: Scott Brim <scott.brim@gmail.com>, Apps Discuss <apps-discuss@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] IETF technical plenary: the end of application protocols

Ah, I wish I could be there!

I think it's not so black-and-white.  The problems mentioned are real enough,
but there are other considerations too:

- for some applications, designing to run on HTTP can increase the effective use
of bandwidth by making it easier to build applications around more
coarse-grained exchanges.  More bang per round-trip.  (Of course this *can* be
done over bare TCP, but HTTP handles much of the common grunt work).

- for some applications, a focus on a RESTful style of interface pushes the
emphasis away from multiple protocols towards a common protocol with more
complex object representations.  Yes, this moves the application domain problems
somewhere else, but that somewhere else is less dependent on a detailed
bilateral agreement about the nature of exchanges.

- for some applications, using Javascript in the browser can dramatically reduce
the complexity of a distributed client-server application, and the attendant
network exchanges, by allowing client state to be managed locally and reducing
the amount of state that the server needs to be aware of.

HTTP is much, much more than a simple request/response protocol.  It underpins
the most successful, most scalable distributed application the world has seen,
and *for some applications* that fit well into its particular model of
interaction, I think it can offer improved efficiency and reduced siloing of
applications.

Of course, your application may vary.

#g