[apps-discuss] IETF-port-80 technical plenary Re: IETF technical plenary: the end of application protocols

Leslie Daigle <leslie@thinkingcat.com> Tue, 22 March 2011 20:09 UTC

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 16:10:36 -0400
From: Leslie Daigle <leslie@thinkingcat.com>
To: Apps Discuss <apps-discuss@ietf.org>
Subject: [apps-discuss] IETF-port-80 technical plenary Re: IETF technical plenary: the end of application protocols

So, this is the IETF-port-80 tech plenary?  Can't wait for hosts2-ns in
Quebec City ;-)

IMO, the approach outlined in the plenary plan makes (and, ultimately,
would entrench) an unwarranted distinction between clients and servers
as devices on the Internet.  Clients do IMAP to get mail, but SMTP is an
Application protocol for inter-server mail transfer.  The Internet has
actually flourished _because_ any client could be a server.  In that
vein -- not all transaction models are supported in HTTP, so overlaying
all applications could be expensive and ineffective.

So, while I don't doubt there will be more of this type of HTTP-embedded
application work,  IMO it should not be conflated with the totality of
Internet application/infrastructure standardization.

In general, the IETF has done application _transport_ protocols (HTTP,
and XMPP for that matter), and infrastructure (naming -- URLs, URNs
etc).    This is particularly evident in the split of HTML off to the
W3C - which made sense, because the expertise required was different,
the focus much more on the end-user requirements than the network
realities.  (And, HTTP remains at the IETF because its revisions benefit
from the IETF's much broader understanding and expertise of transport
issues is the most important aspect to bring to bear on it).  So, making
this a call to action around the IETF's application standardization
activity seems a little incomplete.

If this rises to the level of the IAB's attention, I'd like to think the
IAB would manage to have that broader perspective -- not necessarily of
application protocols or their structure, but the fact that the Internet
of the future is going to be a very diverse place (still) and is not
just about clients and servers as we commonly conceive them (notebooks,
desktops, etc).

In November, I had the opportunity to participate in some discussions
about the shape of the future Internet, in terms of devices:  i.e.,
handhelds and other untethered devices.  The current and ongoing
constraints of those devices make for an interesting landscape for the
Internet of the future.  Ted alluded to some of them in his remarks in
this thread.  I wrote up some of my perspective on the landscape, in
terms of untethered devices and the implications of/for RFCs 1122/1123,
here:  http://isoc.org/wp/ietfjournal/?p=2185#more-2185  .  I think
those documents represent pretty sound "first principles", and concluded
with:

"Diversity and openness remain critical in Internet deployment, in order
to continue to foster innovation. 1122/23 stress the importance of
recognizing that individual networks would be set up and operated
according to local design choices. The open Internetwork application
framework is what has permitted the creation of novel applications
without requiring permission from network operators or device
manufacturers for deployment. The World Wide Web was one such idea that
took hold like wildfire. Time and again, users and usage of Internet
have laid the groundwork for the Internet’s evolution, not some master
control. It’s important to retain the ability to support that kind of
innovation and open experience, as provided for in the hosts
requirements in 1122/23. In that light, the notion of an open standard
“split node” model, with individual users establishing and controlling
preferences for policies, would allow more growth and innovation than,
for instance, “one size fits all” policy assumptions implemented as
network operator private controls.

In the end, then, it’s clear the future Internet will support many users
and uses based on untethered devices, and thus feature hosts that exceed
the expectations of 1122/23. But the framework in those documents is
sound: provide a set of requirements for interoperation at the transport
and application levels, and unfettered innovation will follow. Time will
tell whether the requirements of hosts are updated to accommodate the
practical realities of power and bandwidth constraints understood with
untethered devices, or whether the “host” will become some tethered
server supporting multiple roaming devices, for example. The only wrong
choice is no choice at all."

which seems applicable here.

Leslie.

"Reality: