Re: [apps-discuss] IETF technical plenary: the end of application protocols

Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net> Tue, 22 March 2011 06:52 UTC

From: Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 08:53:28 +0200
To: dcrocker@bbiw.net
Cc: Pete Resnick <presnick@qualcomm.com>, Apps Discuss <apps-discuss@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] IETF technical plenary: the end of application protocols

Hi Dave,

the abstract cannot obviously cover all aspects of the talk, as you know.

Jonathan & Harald, who are among the speakers, have good knowledge about the IETF. They have made significant contributions and they had run into a few of the issues we are discussing on this list.

In our writeup http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tschofenig-post-standardization-00 we have not only described the positive effects of the trend we are believing to see but expressed also some concerns. There are also cases where the current Web model is not able to compete with native applications. We talk about those as well in the document.

In any case, we thought that this topic is relevant enough for the IETF community to have a dialog and to hear whether you have a view about the topic as well. As this discussion shows, you obviously do.

The time could not have been better given the RTCWeb BOF that is also going to happen in Prague.

Ciao
Hannes