Re: [93attendees] I was wondering...

"Pat (Patricia) Thaler" <pthaler@broadcom.com> Fri, 24 July 2015 16:38 UTC

From: "Pat (Patricia) Thaler" <pthaler@broadcom.com>
To: Andy Bierman <andy@yumaworks.com>, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer+ietf@nic.fr>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 16:38:04 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.16.203.100]
Cc: "Howard, Lee" <lee.howard@twcable.com>, "93attendees@ietf.org" <93attendees@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [93attendees] I was wondering...

I don’t think the root of the problem was the way that they were dressed as much as it was that their looks and attire seemed to be the reason that they were there. They didn’t participate in explaining the company’s technology.

The purpose of Bits and Bytes, I think, is to provide for vendors to show what they are doing with IETF technology, e.g. practical demos of how the technology we develop is being applied and tests of proposed protocols.
Booth staff usually are there to explain the demos and that is the way it should be. It certainly isn’t unusual for booth staff to be wearing company provided items (e.g. shirts) to help identify them.

I’m uncomfortable with implementing a dress code as a way to deal with this. Some of our attendees wear shorts. I’d hate to see staff running around with rulers to decide that shorts or skirts are too short, etc.

I’d prefer a policy that emphasizes that Bits and Bytes booths are for technical displays and discussions and that booth staff are expected to be technical and able to discuss the displays.

Pat