Re: [93attendees] I was wondering...

"Howard, Lee" <lee.howard@twcable.com> Fri, 24 July 2015 10:07 UTC

From: "Howard, Lee" <lee.howard@twcable.com>
To: "93attendees@ietf.org" <93attendees@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 06:07:44 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [93attendees] I was wondering...

On 7/24/15, 11:10 AM, "93attendees on behalf of Brian E Carpenter"
<93attendees-bounces@ietf.org on behalf of brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> It seems that this a case where IETF, secretariat or anybody associated
>> the IETF has not done anything wrong. The proper concerns have be taken
>>up
>> with the company doing this before the meeting. So, this is really just
>> shame on the company itself and should be concerned as very poor
>>judgement
>> from their part.
>
>That's true, but it suggests to me that there should be written terms
>and conditions for the participating companies that make it clear that
>this sort of thing is unacceptable, and give the Secretariat the power
>to throw them out (in real time if necessary).

I didn¹t see the people who caused the ruckus, but I did see a picture
later.
I assume that they were models hired to attract prurient engineers, and not
actually technically clueful on whatever was being demonstrated? That
would
certainly be inappropriate, not to mention in poor taste, and suggests
they think both that only men can be engineers, and that men are persuaded
by female models. Ugh.

However, I would also not want a policy prohibiting engineers from wearing
whatever we want. If you want to sponsor Bits-n-Bites and your lead
developer likes wearing heels, I have no problem with that. If I want to
wear a close-fitting dress to the next Bits-n-Bites, I hope that would be
allowed.

Lee