RE: Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service

Roman Danyliw <rdd@cert.org> Tue, 10 November 2020 14:47 UTC

From: Roman Danyliw <rdd@cert.org>
To: "Scott O. Bradner" <sob@sobco.com>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>
CC: "iesg@ietf.org" <iesg@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: Call for Community Feedback: Retiring IETF FTP Service
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 14:47:46 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.64.203.59]

Hi Scott!

The complexity is having the "n+1" service to run.

> i.e., just how much does this service cost to run?
> 	(seems to me that it is likely that the effort to develop this plan was
> much more than just letting the service run)
>
> yes, I run one of the scripts that use ftp to access IETF resources and it would be
> a significant pain to rewrite it since it is complicated script and I do not know
> how to do some of its functions in other non-ftp ways
>
> I do seriously want to know how much it costs the IETF to run the ftp service

As far as I know, there are no "billable hours" kinds of numbers on what it takes to run FTP.  As noted in an earlier response, the underlying storage holding all IETF content is being refreshed.  Positive action is required to migrate all services which created a natural inflection point to consult the community on FTP based on the observed usage patterns.  It appears the using HTTP is overwhelming more popular (details in the proposal).  I acknowledge that this isn't your workflow and hear that you'd like the FTP service to continue to support your scripts.

You noted that your scripts perform functions that you don't know how to do in "non-ftp ways".  Can you clarify that use case/function more (offline ok too)?   In preparing the contingency plan, it appeared that using an HTTP API or rsync covered the known use cases.

Regards,
Roman

Roman