Re: [73attendees] Attendance by country

"DRAGE, Keith \(Keith\)" <drage@alcatel-lucent.com> Thu, 04 December 2008 19:02 UTC

Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 20:02:12 +0100
From: "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <drage@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: hallam@gmail.com, Mary Barnes <mary.barnes@nortel.com>, 73attendees@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [73attendees] Attendance by country
Sender: 73attendees-bounces@ietf.org

The statistics are fast approaching the point where an equal number of the people who write drafts (i.e. the people who do the work) come from Europe as opposed to North America.

Show me any flight that leaves San Francisco at any time and gets to anywhere in Europe on the same calendar day. There isn't one. Do the sums and you will work out why.

Point: People are continuing to argue that the meetings are in North America and the participants come from North America and adopting timing preferences to suite. If you are North American participant, start thinking about your preferred meeting schedule if all the meetings were in Europe. Living in Europe, I'd be quite happy with the current schedule and be able to get to all the meetings with minimum impingement on weekends.

I lose the best part of two weekends for every North American based IETF meeting. I have no sympathy (and very little tolerance) for people complaining about losing half a day.

regards

Keith