Re: [113attendees] hybrid meetings: the worst of both worlds

Robert Moskowitz <rgm@labs.htt-consult.com> Fri, 25 March 2022 16:44 UTC

Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 12:44:32 -0400
To: sarikaya@ieee.org, Rifaat Shekh-Yusef <rifaat.s.ietf@gmail.com>
Cc: 113attendees@ietf.org
From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm@labs.htt-consult.com>
Subject: Re: [113attendees] hybrid meetings: the worst of both worlds

On 3/25/22 12:39, Behcet Sarikaya wrote:
> I also think that the current hybrid format is very good and will
> likely continue for a long time to come.
>
> Onsite attendance is good if you can and probably you get the maximum
> out of your attendance. Remote is also good even though ideal.
> I was remote and because of the time difference and the scheduling of
> sessions over which I have no control I had to miss several sessions I
> hoped to attend
> (e.g. I think all BOFs were scheduled 4-6am my time). But I can check
> the minutes and read the documents, etc. to catch up.
>
> The attendance was low expectedly, actually I thought it would be even
> lower so maybe that's why Leif couldn't get what he expected.
>
> My suggestion is to continue like this, what's wrong with it?

An alternative would be to have THREE physical sites.  This would cut
down on CO2 from travel (meet shmoo goal) and get more into the venues.
Big challenge to have multiple multi-site setups.  There are
professional services that offer small such meeting sites; can that
model be scaled up to what we would need?

Would really stretch support services and probably raise the attendance
cost.