Re: [113attendees] remote-inclusiveness (was: Re: hybrid meetings: the worst of both worlds)

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Mon, 28 March 2022 08:49 UTC

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 10:49:39 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Jay Daley <exec-director@ietf.org>
Cc: Kyle Rose <krose@krose.org>, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>, 113attendees <113attendees@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [113attendees] remote-inclusiveness (was: Re: hybrid meetings: the worst of both worlds)

On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 09:27:58AM +0100, Jay Daley wrote:
> > I have just seen outside of IETF over the decades a lot more remote-inclusive
> > options that i think are also worth to explore for IETF. Sitting in a side-meeting
> > room in the IETF and NOT having a remote participation option for example strikes
> > me as particularily objectionable. Sitting in a bar and trying to get actual
> > technical work done, but then not understanding anyone due to background noise
> > equally so.
>
> Side meetings are deliberately very different from other sessions as repeatedly stated by the IESG:
>
> https://www.ietf.org/blog/public-side-meetings/
>
> Significant effort has been put into improving the remote experience during IETF meetings but, for the reasons in that blog post, not side meetings.  While I understand your frustration regarding side meetings, an assessment of remote participation for the whole meeting based on an experience in a side meeting will never be fair and representative.

Thanks, Jay

Wrt to side meetings, there are two different frustrations:

Deliberately providing physical space (rooms), but not webex space for side
meeting strikes me as highly illogical. That is an IESG policy issue. I claim it
is a remote-unfriendly policy.

Deliberately NOT using remote participation tools in a side-meeting strikes
me as highly remote-unfriendly. That is a side-meeting organizer issue.

The linkage is of course that side meeting organizers not well versed in remote-friendly
tooling might have an easier time if the IETF policy would make its tools available
to them. Like it is for finding a room.

Aka: as long as IETF policy in support of remote participation in side meetings
is as it is compared to its support for in-person meeting (rooms), its really
difficult to give side-meeting organizers a hard time when they choose NOT to support
remote participation.

Cheers
    Toerless